Dr Michael DiMattina, MD
|Undergrad School:||American University|
|Bachelor's Degree:||B.S. in Chemistry|
|Undergrad Honors:||Summa Cum Laude|
|Medical School:||Medical College of Virginia|
|Place of Fellowship:||Georgetown University & NIH/ Kings College Hospital London, England|
|Fellowship Program:||Reproductive Medicine|
Dr. Michael DiMattina founded Dominion Fertility in 1987 and serves as our Medical Director. Over the course of his career, he has been named best doctor by multiple magazines. He has been performing IVF since 1984 and has many firsts in the field of Reproductive medicine—including the first successful Natural Cycle IVF procedure in the Washington, D.C. area in 2007. He is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology, and subspecialty board certified in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Dr. Dimattina sees patients in the Arlington, Bethesda, and Washington D.C. offices.
Education and Training
Dr. DiMattina graduated Summa Cum Laude with a B.S. in Chemistry from American University in Washington, DC. He then performed cancer research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) before attending medical school at the Medical College of Virginia. Dr. DiMattina completed his internship and residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Georgetown University, followed by a fellowship in Reproductive
Medicine at Georgetown University and the NIH. While a fellow, Dr. DiMattina studied advanced techniques in IVF at King’s College Hospital in London, England, when IVF was first being developed. He is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology, and subspecialty board certified in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
Dr. DiMattina has been performing IVF since 1984, and has had many accomplishments in the field of Reproductive Medicine:
- 1987 – First GIFT (gamete intra-fallopian transfer) baby in Washington, DC
- 1988 – First ZIFT (zygote intra-fallopian transfer) baby in Washington, DC
- 1988 – First IVF baby in Arlington, VA
- 1990 – First IVF frozen-thawed pregnancy in Arlington, VA
- 1994 – First IVF – ICSI baby in Arlington, VA
- 1995 – First egg Donor IVF baby in Arlington, VA
- 1998 – First cryo-thawed IVF sibling pregnancy in the world ( People magazine, 1998)
- 2006 – One of only three American doctors to attend the First World Congress in Natural Cycle IVF in London, England
- 2007 – First successful Natural Cycle IVF procedure in the Washington, D.C. area
- 2007 – Awarded the ACOG, “Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology National Faculty Award” for excellence in teaching
- 2008 – Voted by his peers as “The Top Infertility Doctor in the Washington, D.C. area” in Washingtonian magazine
- 2009 – First Natural Cycle IVF sibling pregnancy in the Washington, DC area
- 2010 – APGO Excellence in Teaching Award by the Association of Professors of Gynecology & Obstetrics at Georgetown University Hospital in recognition of outstanding contributions in the field of OB/GYN
- 2012 – Guest Professor – Lecturer at the 14th Chongqing IVF Art Workshop – Chongqing, China
- 2014 – Washingtonian Magazine, Northern Virginia Magazine and Best Doctors in America – perennially listed since 1988 as Best Doctor
- 2015 – Northern Virginia Magazine – perennially listed as Best Doctor
- 2015 – Guest Professor – Lecturer at the First IVF Workshop – Changsha, China
Additionally, Dr. DiMattina has been listed multiple times as a “Top Doctor” in Washingtonian Magazine. He is co-author of the book “100 Questions and Answers About Infertility.” His special interests remain in Advanced IVF techniques including Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS), Embryo Implantation, and Natural Cycle IVF. Dr. DiMattina also volunteers his time at a local non-profit OB/GYN clinic providing gynecological care to indigent patients.
Affiliations and Privileges
Dr. DiMattina is a Clinical Associate Professor in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Georgetown University Medical Center. Since 1986, Dr. DiMattina has actively taught the Georgetown University OB/GYN medical students and residents. He maintains hospital privileges at The Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA and Sibley Hospital in Washington, DC. Dr. DiMattina currently sees patients in the Arlington, Bethesda, and Washington DC offices.