Determine Your Coverage by Reviewing Your Benefits and Speaking to Your Insurance Company
When you first enrolled, you should have received an information packet regarding your insurance that contains the details of your benefits (or you can request one). We recommend that you review your infertility benefits before beginning treatment.
When you decide to pursue treatment, it is a good idea to speak with your insurance company in advance. There is a customer service phone number on your insurance card. When speaking with a representative, we recommend the following:
- Document the day and time you called, as well as the name of the representative you spoke with.
- Ask what your specific infertility benefits are. The following questions can be a good place to start:
- What is my coverage for testing and procedures?
- What is my copay?
- During which office visits will I be required to pay a copay?
- Is there a deductible?
- If I am responsible for a percentage of the cost, what is the percentage?
- Will my medications be covered?
- Does this plan require authorization prior to beginning treatment?
- Request the information that they have provided about your specific policy in writing, and also take your own notes.